Monday, April 30, 2018

How to Save the Trees

One of the things you'll notice in my @nhvorg posts is the prevalence of trees in the foreground, background, and throughout. On Saturday, I walked through Central Park from Harlem to midtown, and eventually to GCT where I returned to NHV. What I found, in that excursion, was an abundance of old growth trees. It made me think of the generations of countless people who would see the same configuration of leaves and branches, in the same locations. That's what I love about streets like West Rock Avenue and Anderson St. Trees make a city really look alive, and the work to replant on the green is a noticeable effort. Here's Wooster Square: 


I consulted with an arborist who confirmed my hunch: that sodium chloride and other chemicals used to melt snow have the effect of getting into the root systems of our trees. These chemicals also rot our drainage system, leading to longterm problems down the road. Knowing that when it snows, people want conditions that are safe as quickly as possible, but also being aware that the chemicals used to melt salt often cause chaos to the root structure to the trees that give us shade (and make for more beautiful photographs, as per the needs of our instagrams and daily lives), how do we mitigate the situation, lending to more prosperous foliage, resulting in a city that seems harmonious with nature, while keeping the city streets safe for pedestrians when it snows?

Ian, Editor.